Sunday, November 23, 2008

November 23


Ten days past my due date -
I just finished our Thanksgiving meal
when I felt the first pangs of childbirth.

After sixteen hours of labor,
Scott William Redfern came into our world -
November 23, 1979.

For sixteen hours I labored to birth him into our family -
Only son . . . only sibling . . . only grandson.

Sixteen hours of labor reaped sixteen years of life.
Today it seems as if those long sixteen hours eclipse
the short sixteen years of life on earth.

Today, Scott, you would be thirty-two.
I strain to picture you as a man
but all I see is your boyish smile.

It is once again November -
and I am once again feeling the pangs of childbirth.

How I long to hold you, my son.
How I long to cradle you in my arms,
to kiss you and tell you how hard it is to once again wait to see you.

How I, too, long to be born again into that glorious eternal rest
where you and I shall be reunited together - forever.

Maranatha!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm praying for you during this time that you have peace, remember all the good memories and be comforted that this isn't the end.

Our God is not only the God of our mountaintops but the God of our valleys as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I hope it is a great one!

Wanda said...

Bonnie
What a beautiful post and blog. I am just passing by....but drawn to read your words.
I'm a mom of 3 teens....I know what happens to a mother's heart when God allows someone to call her mama.
I can't think of anything that is more wonderful than to be a mother. Your reality teaches me to cherish every moment with my children.
God bless you and BIG HUGS to you from me in Indiana.

Janice said...

I think of you and Tony every November and February. Scott was such a good friend to Jeremy. I don't understand why things happen. I tell the Lord that He can return anytime to take us all home to be with our loved ones who have gone before us. Even though it's been almost thirteen years, my heart still aches for your family.