Friday, February 5, 2010

What If I Knew . . .

What if I knew today would be the last day I had with my child?
Would it transform the words we exchanged?

Would it alter the non-verbal messages I expressed?

Would I focus less energy on the chores left undone?

Would I linger a little longer as we hugged goodbye?
The morning of February 5th, 1996 began like any other in our home. There was no forewarning that it would be my last day at home with our precious son, Scott. But at 11:36 a.m., I received the phone call all parents dreads. Your son has been in an accidentScott was declared brain dead on February 6, 1996.

As I reflect on our last days together . . .
I am grateful for Scott’s humble spirit on February 4th that caused him to seek reconciliation and forgiveness.

I am grateful for our loving and fun conversation that morning.

I am grateful I took time ~ on that particularly hectic day of school for me ~ to say Goodbye and I love you.
Psalm 90:12 reads ~
Teach us to use wisely all the time we have. 

Oh that His Wisdom, His Grace, and His Love would transform relationships in our hearts and homes.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I am thankful that I spent ALL of winter break at home, instead of taking a class. So many fun memories! Love you Mom!

Unknown said...

hey scott's mom~ travis remembers that day at school. he still remembers thinking he would be ok and feeling the shock of scott's death. little did we know huh?! thanks for sharing scott's story. so thankful for you in my life and grateful for the knowledge that scott is showing kade around eternity;)
love you!
~kade's mom

Tamara B said...

momma bonnie: I indeed remember that day and the days that follow so well. Those memories are ingrained in my head more than most other memories. Scott's life continues to impact mine today.

I'll never forget the days following the accident: the pottery class with Jake Woods and Jill Butler, seeing Scott's toolbelt at the funeral, determining not to cry and bawling A LOT, smelling Scott's pillow.

I'll also never forget the memories etched in my mind about Scott: ricing and forking lawns, Scott stopping by the city pool on his bike, working on the barn, watching him drive down the road, etc.

In addition to that, I also seem to have a very clear memory of a dream of him after his death. Remembering the details of a dream is hard for me. But this dream is perfectly clear. I had a dream that while I walking down the road by the Workmans old house in your neighborhood that Scott past by. I remember struggling with what I saw because I knew it couldn't be real but I ached so much for it to be real. It's amazing how our minds can do that.

And last but not least, I remember a family that I didn't really know except a little bit through their son who became like family to me. I love each of you and am so thankful for your continued role in my life.